Blog Post #4

I think GIMP looks to be a great resource, based on the fact that its free and open source. I’ve always found that when a program is open source, it continually improves, because essentially there is always someone that works with the program, that is out there finding ways to improve it. The free part kind of speaks for itself!


So I did a little googling, and I did come up with a few reasons on why the Photoshop would be more preferred among professionals, and where their massive budget and costs may play a factor. The first difference is that Photoshop offers a CMYK mode, where GIMP doesn’t. From what I read, the CMYK mode is more so used on commercial printers, and essential for a professional that may want to print their work.


Another thing I had found online, that contradicts what I had said, and think, in my first paragraph, is that there is better support for Photoshop. Since Photoshop is owned by a large company, it does have things such as a support line to call if one needs help, and since they charge lots for the program, they have more money to put into the development and improvement of it.

The last thing I will mention regarding the differences is that Adobe has different programs and apps that one can tie Photoshop in with, where GIMP doesn’t really have that. I can see how that would come in very handy.

I can see GIMP being used in the computer type of classes. Since I didn’t get through the whole 5 hours or training on it yet, I am not fully aware of all the capabilities, so I am really not sure on how this program may or may not be useful in the shop. The one class I am student teaching in, the project is to build C02 powered cars that the students get to build, then race against the teacher. I am not fully up to speed on how the students get to design their cars, but I could see a potential for GIMP to be used there.

I know for myself I feel much more competent with things I learn, after I get to use them a little bit. Right now from the training I have watched, it seems like I should be able to get the hang of it. 

Comments

  1. I enjoyed reading your post Sheldon. I liked how you linked your opinion about GIMP to what you found in your research. Hopefully in the future this program will be more useful for you as a shop teacher :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use to do the Co2 car program at previous school. Its very cool and easy to get kids invoked. Also not very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should wait until you see sketchUp when we look at that program. That will be perfect to design your CO2 racers :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts