Assignment #2

Picture 1. My daughter on the beach at our cabin at Candle Lake.
I used the clone tool to take the child out of the background. I then adjusted the hue, lightness and saturation levels. As well, I cropped the picture to exclude the white sign post on the left. Lastly I used the clone tool again to get rid of the sign post shadow, zoomed in, and I had to drastically increase the size of the brush for this part. 




Picture 2. My daughter and son at Whiteswan Lake.
I started out adjusting the hue, saturation and lightness levels. I then created a duplicate layer, and desaturated it to a grayscale layer. I then added a layer mask, then chose a brush and tried as best as I could to bring back the color to my kids. I found this took a LONG time to do, I had to zoom in and change brush size many times through this edit. 

Picture 3. My daughter and dog checking out my backhoe stuck in the swamp.
I started out cropping the picture down a little. I then went into color balance and brought out a little more color. I adjusted the hue, lightness and saturation levels trying to improve on the original. I then made a duplicate layer. I started using the paths tool to trace, but switched to the scissors tool and found that easier. I found this one tough to do with all the leaves and jagged edges to get the cut out. I created a new layer, inverted my selection, and then blurred out the background. Lastly I went into the levels setting and set the levels of the background. 


Picture 4. Kids and I out on the lake in front of our house with the snowmobiles.
For this picture I added some text, and made it look neat. Then I traced and cut an image from a different picture, scaled it to a usable size, pasted it into this one, and turned the opacity down. I did the same with the second row of text, to try and send out the feeling that summer is fading away. I used multiple text layers, and duplicate layers in this one. 


Picture 5. My son sitting on a bench.
I started out by cropping then adjusting the hue, lightness, and saturation levels. I also adjusted the color balance levels, and tried to get the brightness and contrast levels better. I then adjusted the color levels. My goal for this picture was just to try and play with the settings to get the picture a little nicer. 


Picture 6. Our boat sitting on the beach in front of our house.
I started out cropping, then I made a custom brush out of the fishing boat I used in an earlier picture. I used the airbrush tool, and tried to make it look like the fishing boat sped in ultra-fast in beside our boat. 


Picture 7. My son’s tricycle in front of the wood box I made in the wood shop.
I started off cropping, then went into unsharp mask, and played around a little to get a crazy look. I then went into the distort settings and played with the warp effect on the background.  This picture my son seemed to really dig, so I went and exported it as a jpeg, and printed it for him. (In which he played with it for 5 minute then tore it up!)


Picture 8. My model A coupe in storage.
I started off with playing with color balance, and hue, saturation and lightness.  I tried to make it all artistic and funky looking. I then created a layer mask and brushed with simple dynamics the car, so the car looked normal with the funky background. 


Picture 9. My old d7e doing some dozing.
I started off by using the paths tool and going around the dozer. I then cut it form the original picture and pasted it to a new file, then scaled it up in size. I then made another new file, and made a background. To make the background I used distort and mosaic settings and played around with the settings until I got it how I liked it. I then used the air brush and turned the size way up, flow and rate down, and used different colors to try and create a yellowish background with a light coat of black to try and give it a black smoke type accent. I then added simple text just for kicks. (Anyone remember the skiroule snowmobile motto, "You've just been skirouled!"?) 


Picture 10. My old Peterbilt 379.
I started off this picture with the cage transform tool. I enlarged the size of the stacks a little bit, then I Flipped the whole picture to face the truck the other way. I then used the clone tool to fix up the stacks, and to erase the writing that was now backwards, and to green up the grass in front.  I then made a brush out of the dozer that I used in the previous picture, and airbrushed it on to the door. Lastly I adjusted the brightness and contrast levels slightly.


For all of my pictures I created a duplicate layer, and used multiple layers while editing. I may have forgotten a step or process here and there as once I got into the zone, I didn't always have what I was doing on the brain. 
I am going to score myself as excellent for the following reasons: I feel I did an excellent job at improving the picture’s aesthetics. I went through the list as I was working, and tried to reasonably use and mention the use of, as many tools as possible. I balanced the work I did with a little creativity, as well as quality in enhancement. I also feel I added everything I did to each picture when I wrote about it.



Comments

  1. Excellent work Sheldon. Like the boy's bike picture and the speed boat pic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work Sheldon! You grasped the content of the video very well and you're able to pick up on what Marc wanted you to complete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really explored a lot of the tools in Gimp. I also found it tricky to create a grey background with coloured images over top. I wish I could have simply set an image to background with a grey layer over top to erase.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts