Assignment #5

Click here to view video!

I originally wanted to do an oil change, but when I started sketching out a storyboard, I decided that something my wife knew more about would be easier since I would be the one filming. So I ditched the oil change idea and went with baking. I chose a recipe that I make often so I knew what to do. Here are my storyboards and you can see that I have the shot angles listed as well as the scene contents.





After I made the storyboard, I recorded each of the videos and made the titles to insert. I uploaded all of them to my computer to one folder and then I was ready to start bringing them into shotcut.

Everything was going fairly smoothly in the beginning. I was dragging them in, joining them and making my transitions. Then I started adding the titles in another track.

I quickly realized that that was not the most useful way to do the kind of titles that I wanted. This created more of a watermark effect and since my shots were a variety of colours, I could see that a watermark was not going to work. So I decided to add the titles as images right in my current track instead. I left the first one as a watermark because at this point it didn’t matter as much as it did later on.

Then things started to take a turn downhill for me. My laptop is older and if I moved to quickly with my mouse clicks and dragging, the program bogged down and kept closing. Thankfully, it has a recover option and if I didn’t hit save, it wasn’t all lost. I did realize that it was important for me to hit save frequently since autosave doesn’t take you back to the exact last thing you did. Therefore I had a lot of practice with this program since I did many parts of my project two to three times over.

One of my clips was long and boring since it just showed the same action over and over. So I used the speed up feature which I think enhanced the video but kept clarity.

After all of my clips were in and the joins and transitions were completed, I went back to adjust the length of my transitions and looked around at the options other than just dissolve. I selected a few different styles for the last two transitions, but I left the remainder of the transitions as dissolve for two reasons:
1. I think the others are cheesy
2. I think it looks better to have the whole show have the same style and I preferred ‘dissolve’.

The audio was not too bad to do. I recorded the script in audacity.

After I finished that up, I dragged it into shotcut and started editing. I decided that some music would help to maintain interest during the parts of the movie where there was no talking.so I found a sound clip that I liked online. It wasn’t long enough so I had to cut and copy and paste pieces together. Then I added it to the movie and cut it up so I could adjust the volume in different places. 




I believe I have scored excellent. In cinematography I made sure that I made use of the different angles and screen shots that we were taught. During the lesson video I made notes for myself, and made sure to use all of the different angles and views. Given that I only had a cell phone to film with, I believe that I made excellent use of my camera on my phone.

 During pre-production I made sure to think about all of the steps of baking the biscuits. I first started by making a list and then as I moved the list over to the story board, I added more steps and thought about the camera angles. I feel my use of the program was also excellent. I toggled back and forth between the tutorial videos as needed and made use of many of the tools and filters. As I mentioned above, since my laptop continued to crash I often had to do many steps multiple times. I am very happy with my finished product, especially considering the entry level equipment I had at my disposal. 

I feel like I demonstrated an excellent understanding of the entire process. It is logical, well organized, cohesive, and appealing. Had my computer not constantly crashed, I would have taken the chance to import additional images or tried varying speeds more often, those two things seemed to consistently make my computer crash. 

Comments

  1. Good job Sheldon, you have included lots of evidence of learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having the same problem, crashing all the time and freezing. Ours is over 11 mins and is very frustrating when trying to do an assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and looks good man, we should of went with something easier. Less stress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very smooth video, easy to hear and follow. Well done buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Video was great! I liked how you went into detail explaining your process thoroughly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shelly, I'll be waiting for that oil change video!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts